Color Theory with Theresa Otteson
Time & Location
About the Event
For oil, acrylic, and watercolor
This two-day workshop covers the basics of color theory, including temperature, value, and how color schemes create color harmony in your artwork. Students will do four hands-on projects including, creating a color wheel, learn how to match the color you see, color charts, and color harmony studies. There is some prep work to do before class starts. Please make sure you get the supply/instruction list emailed out two weeks the start of the workshop.
- 12 x 12 canvas panel or canvas, or watercolor paper if using watercolor
- 7- 14 and 1⁄4 by 8 and 1⁄4 smooth Bristol paper for color charts
- 12x16 canvas panel or canvas, or watercolor paper
- One quarter inch masking tape (Dick Blick in Sugar house carries it)
- Mixed Media notebook to use to paint color swatches in.
- Paint: Cobalt Blue, Naphthol Red, Hansa Yellow or Lemon Yellow, Titanium White, Black, Yellow Ochre, Cadmium Red Light, Alizarin Crimson, Ultramarine Blue, Pthalo Blue, Plus any other paint colors you have
- Brushes: 2-3 flat brushes around sizes 8 - 12
- Odorless mineral spirits or turpenoid. I like Gamblins Gamsol.
- Rags Paper towels
- Palette knife
- If using watercolor or acrylic bring a palette and a water container.
Directions: Before class please enlarge the color wheel below to fit your 12 x 12 canvas and draw it on your canvas, paper, or panel. Leave enough room to allow you to label colors around the outside edge of the wheel.
- Color Theory Workshop$150$1500$0