Beginning Hand building with Erik Brown
Time & Location
About the Event
Sept. 1st to Oct 6th
In this class, students will learn about the properties of clay, and the techniques that make clay a useful medium to create functional as well as artistic forms fitting for everyday use. Techniques that will be primarily taught will include:
• Additive pinch technique fit for forming vessels from coils of clay, blending them together for sound structural constructions.
• Soft slab construction for forming objects out of thinly rolled sheets of clay that can be bent and stretched to the desired form.
• Hard slab construction, where slabs are allowed to dry to be cut into exact shapes and joined together at the right time to allow the clay to securely bond together.
• Pre-glaze decoration techniques suitable for the various stages in which the clay may be worked.
• Introductory glazing and finishing techniques for functional and decorative work.
Students completing the class should also obtain a firm basic grounding in not only methods for forming clay by hand, but also an introduction to the esthetics of form.
Class cost includes materials. Finished work pick-up day will be within three weeks of the end of the class to allow for firing time.
- Beginning Handbuilding$300$3000$0