Drawing Expressive Portraits with Alexis Rausch
Ages 16+. Learn the basic elements of art and principles of design, facial anatomy, and how to take your portrait drawings to the next level. Sept. 7th - Oct. 19th(No class on Oct. 5th)
Time & Location
Sep 07, 7:00 PM MDT – Oct 19, 9:00 PM MDT
Bountiful Davis Art Center, 90 N Main St, Bountiful, UT 84010, USA
September 7th to October 12th
7:00 to 9:00 PM
Recommended skill level: Intermediate, drawing experience not required but highly reccomended.
In this class, students will learn the basic elements of art and principles of design, facial anatomy, and how to take their portrait drawings to the next level. We will explore how to employ those techniques on different figures using a variety of mediums and techniques. Students will first be encouraged in the first half of the class to learn the basics of facial anatomy and value with realistic drawing techniques, and will spend the second half of the class exploring how to render portraiture they find interesting in the style of their choosing. Since art isn’t just about putting a pencil to paper, students will also learn how to integrate art into their everyday lives, from studying basic art history to creating a regular sketchbook practice.
- Materials Needed:
- Staedler (or any brand) Graphite Pencils with the following leads: 2H, H, HB, F, 2B, 4B, 6B
- Staedler (or any brand) pigment liner pens, set of 4.
- General’s Charcoal Pencils with the following leads: Soft, medium, hard, and white chalk pencil
- Winsor and Newton or General’s vine charcoal pack
- Winsor and Newton or General’s compressed charcoal pack
- OR General’s Charcoal Drawing pack : https://www.dickblick.com/products/generals-charcoal-drawing-assortment/
(If you buy the pack, there is no need to buy the individual pencils or either charcoal pack).
- 18 x 24 Fine or Medium tooth WHITE Sketch or Drawing pad.
- 18x24 piece of Canson toned paper in either gray or tan.
- White rubber eraser
- General’s kneaded eraser
- General’s Factis Mechanical eraser
Drawing Expressive Portraits